UPDATE for July 28, 2023 ----- The heat wave that hit Mammoth Lakes had temps around 90 and melted a ton of snow in our area. The lakes basin is now fully open along with Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls. Camping is starting to be more available including Lake Mary Campground and Coldwater Campground. Mammoth Mountain has announced they are staying open for Skiing and Snowboarding through August 6, 2023 and the east entrance to Yosemite National Park through Tioga Pass is now open. Mammoth Mountain Bike Park is also open with limited access and some of the Mountain Bike trails in town, like Mammoth Rock Trail and Panorama Dome Trail are open. The only thing you need to be aware of is the snow at higher elevations. If you are hiking high elevation trails or passes above 9,500 feet, be prepared for snow.
It is early July and this is our latest update to our ongoing posts about summer 2023 conditions in Mammoth Lakes. The map above shows what hiking and biking trails are currently open in Mammoth Lakes. Go to MammothTrails.org for more info. It is possible to venture beyond the trails that are officially open, but you may want to bring your snow shoes because there is still a ton of snow above 9,000 ft. Also, if you are going further into the backcountry please be careful, there have been a number of deaths in our area just in the last month due to avalanches, swift water, and heat.
What's Open near Mammoth Lakes?
- Mammoth Scenic Loop & Inyo Craters Trail
-Town Bike Loop & Mammoth Rock Trail
- Sherwin Lakes Trail & Valentine Lake Trail (only to where they intersect)
- Mammoth Mountain Bike Park (only a few trails, but also, tickets are currently only $29)
- Mammoth Mountain Skiing and Snowboarding
- Convict Lake Loop (loop only, trail to Mildred Lake & Lake Dorothy closed)
- Twin Lakes, Crowley Lake, and Convict Lake
- June Lake Loop, June Lake Beach, Silver Lake, and Gull Lake
- Lake Mary Marina & Pokonobe Marina (Lake Mary Road is closed, guests must take a shuttle to access the Lakes Basin area)
What's Closed in and around Mammoth Lakes?
- Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls Shuttle
- Duck Pass, Heart Lake, and Emerald Lake Trails
- Crystal Lake and TJ Lake Trails
- Most of the Wilderness areas and sections of the JMT & PCT
- Lake Mary Campground & Coldwater Campground
- Mountain View Bike Tail
**This is not an exhaustive list and things are changing daily. Please do additional research and contact the appropriate organization for additional info**